Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Chinese New Year 2011

Christmas was just over in December and people were already busy preparing for Chinese New Year which falls on the 3rd of Feb. I haven't got in the mood to think through what I should make this year so in the end I decided to begin with a batch of Nastar tarts to get me going. After which there were pillow pineapple tarts, open face pineapple tarts and a big bottle of green peas cookies for a friend.

 
After making the tarts, i thought it would be boring to make the same things every year. Then suddenly the thought of wanting to make something rabbit came to my mind....and kueh bangkit in rabbit shape was the answer cos it's also white.

I'm really not a fan of KB and had never thought this was a tricky cookie to perfect. In the end I had to throw away 3-4 batches of dough and cookies as they were just not what it should be(well I never read what other bloggers had to say about their experience). I was pretty depressed as the idea was good but the skill not....Don't think I will be making KB for years to come....

Recently I had the opportunity to try a Filipino cookies call polvoron (goldilocks brand) and I fell in love with it immediately.To my surprise, it was a very easy to make recipe and no baking required. As I did not have a polvoron mould nor a small oval mould, I made them into rabbits! I took 2 hours just to mould 32 bunnies cos the neck and ear were very vulnerable and they keep breaking when I try to unmould. But all turn out well and I was able to fit 28 rabbits in a box which was so auspicious. I gave it to a lucky friend....

 Almond Polvoron Bunnies

These almond cookies were made in less than an hour plus cleaning. I made them for my hubby to give away(on a last minute request in the middle of the night). It has a melt in the mouth texture but I would have added almond essence, chopped almond and even an slivered almond on top to make it better.

 Almond Cookies

I wanted to try out cheese sticks some time back. Finally I did now. Overall the taste was good.
 Cheese Sticks

My sister's friend gave me a set of animal shaped cookie cutter which she got from Hong Kong some time back and she gave it to me after I gave her some advice on pie crust baking. I made good of the rabbit cutter immediately to cut out coconut agar agar and covered with red agar agar. Brought it to my grandma house and they disappeared in a blink of eyes. My mum didn't even get to see it after they were being cut up into 48 pcs by my aunt.

 Rabbit Coconut Agar Agar
 
This year CNY was good. I made quite a few new items and I can see that my girl has enjoyed herself too with all the nice clothes, food, playmates, toys and lotsa angbaos.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...